Tuesday, 18 October 2011

LO.1: Researching Advertisement #2



From watching this advert, I discovered a few ideas I would like to include into my television advertisement for Aurgia. First of all, the advertisement fits a 30 second time span which is something I would like to do with my advertisement as anything above 30 seconds or so, I feel you begin to lose interest with your audience unless it's an exceptional advertisement that appeals to a large audience with a type of "mainstream" topic such as The World Cup for example, which millions are people are into and that's not to say millions of people aren't into jewellery but Aurgia Jewellery is quite a small business in the heart of Reading and doesn't pull in millions of customers every year so it makes sense to be somewhat realistic, especially considering jewellery is something I feel, is a type of niche market.


I also like the narration of this advertisement and might be something I want to consider putting into my production. The narrator of this advertisement for H Samuel Jewellery was a very nice choice indeed and quoting one of the comment this video alone 
"That voice-over man is excellent! He is ideal for this advert and makes the advert have an enchanting feel to it." user  whogotpranked 3 years ago is something I can happily agree with.





The narrator does his job very well and gives a nice soft tone which works for these type of adverts and might be something I would like to consider. I say might as, depending on how strongly I feel the music is and how it fits, I might do narrator over it, I might not but I feel it would be a good decision to do some narration or practice narration over the advertisement regardless as it could work better than expect.


I also enjoy the fact there is some sort of narrative in this advertisement being that there is a "master craftsman" who discovers a twinkle in a jar and manages to transform it into a stunning piece of jewellery. It flows really well and the art of the character and the environment is very nice but isn't something I would like to include in my advertisement as I feel, whilst 30 seconds isn't a long span of time, building a 3D animation in this case by yourself would take a lot time of effort and hurt the rest of my work for this unit of Commission, even a 2D animation I feel would take an exceptional amount of time to work on your own but the narrative and how the advertisement flows is something I want to put in my advertisement but perhaps turn it on it's head, for example, usually when you walk into a shop, in this case Auriga Jewellery, you look around the shop, discovering what you want, you chose something, you give the money at the till and you purchase the item and walk out of the shop. Whilst I feel that works great and flows nicely, instead I would like to start the advertisement with a receipt or the purchasing of an item as I feel it gets straight to the point or makes you wonder what the person has bought and then you can dwell into showcasing the various pieces of jewellery.


Another thing I like about this advertisement is this music. Whilst I do enjoy the music and I feel it works well with the narrators voice, the enchanting, epic feel is something I feel would not work as well against a sunset/summery feel, like I discussing with the previous advertisement I analysed and research as I don't think it would give off a happy feel and that is something I might want to consider more strongly than an epic/enchanting feel as that can seem quite childish, even if it suits with jewellery to some degree, it works better mainly because it's a 3D animation and I don't think it would work as well with real life footage like I am capturing with my production, but having music that suits a particular mood that relates with jewellery and mixes well with the narration is something I definitely want to consider with my advertisement and I feel it's key to giving off an authentic feel.


However, there are things I do not like about this advertisement, whilst I enjoy a lot of other elements and the way it flows, I feel it flows too quickly and the fact that it cuts to the logo and ends quite abruptly is something I do not want to do. I'd rather display the logo at the beginning and the end of the advertisement, with the ending logo shot showcased for an extended period of time and gradually fading out of frame instead of ending abruptly.


Aside from that, there are not main things I can say I dislike about this advertisement for H Samuel Jewellery but there are things I want to include in mine. The way in which it has a narrative is nice and is something I want to include, only turn it on it's head. The narration is something I should consider and have music that suits well with what is been showing and what is being said with the narration, even if it isn't an enchanting feel but instead something that works just as good in my opinion with jewellery and lastly, having the logo appear at the end only for an extended moment of time and not end so abruptly. 



No comments:

Post a Comment