Self Evaluation
For my Brief, I managed to generate initial ideas in various different ways in response to the brief. First of all, I wanted to meet the brief's standards and produce a professional looking and sounding advertisementthat fit the 30 second timeline so I made sure those were elements I would consider. I look around on the Auriga Jewellery Website and the shop itself for some inspiration and ideas and remembering past jewellery advertisements I might've seen in the past. The colour blue was something that came to mind right away and the idea of bluring the first shot and leaving the rest in focus. Strangely enough, a lot of the inspiration I had for the end of the advertisement as my artefact was Furniture Advertisement as I remembered some from a child having two heavily enforced banners/bar falling down into place displaying the shop logo and contain details, however I couldn't remember what advertisements in particular had these. I decided to select the final idea for development as I felt it met the criteria of the brief as well and filled my own expectations. Narration and having a scene mentioning watch repairing were features I coukd've placed in my advertisement for Auriga Jewellery but I felt the need to cut them out as I felt it would damage the artistic value and flow of the artefact. The research I undertook was quite important as it allowed me to combine the generated ideas I had in the past to new, more modern ideas. I still kept some ideas in, such as the two banners falling down and the traditional scrolling camera angles but elements such as a titled panning shot and having the Aurgia logo placed at the beginning before fading out were elements I got from other advertisement and personally, I felt worked very nicely. The narration was something I did add for my 2nd draft of the artefact but not the final piece as, whilst it is quite a modern element and almost a stable part of any advertisement, I felt it hurt the advert a little even if the tone of voice and narration wasn't too bad itself and fitted nicely.
One shot in particular, the receipt shot where the white background cross fades with the white receipt was something I never would've considered if I didn't research and have a slightly more developed idea from a friend. I wanted a bold colour to fade into an item but I wasn't sure what and whilst you could argue the receipt should be placed at the very end of the advertisement as it makes the narrative of the advert that much easier to follow, I felt it worked better viewing wise at the beginning and made you wonder the kind of things you could discover and buy from Auriga if you purchased from there and walked away with a receipt in your hand.
When producing the advertisement itself, the production process went well in many different ways. All the formats of the materials worked nicely in Adobe Premier Pro CS5, the video editing software I used to edit and I had no issues in terms of slowdown and the program crashing. Timing with the music and the shots themselves went well and I felt that was something I did well as well as fade them together, even if crossfading is quite an overused transitional effect, I feel there is a reason for that as it works well and fitted nicely with the calming tone and music of my artefact. Rendering time was short as it is a 30 second advert and pretty much every element in terms of the production went well apart from a few hiccups. One of the problems I did encouter during the production process was forming a shape for the twinkle pre production material piece in the introduction of the advert whereby it displays the logo Aurgia very clearly. I did not manage to find a high resolution image of the original twinkle, so I had to produce one myself that I felt fitted with the style of the font and seemed fitting. I felt I did a good job, it looked quite sharp and crisp and didn't take too long developing a shape but the only real other problem I faced in this process was cutting the Aurgia Logo and deciding the right tone of blue. Having a light tone of blue made it hard to see some text but having it too dark of a tone of blue made it drive away from the overal tone of the advert which was quite difficult but cutting out the Auriga Logo neatly took a while. I had to do this several times in Adobe Photoshop CS5 and having a right stroke effect was somewhat difficult and took some time but overal, fine.
I managed to overcome these problems by taking the time and being patience with these edits and making sure I cut out and produced shapes that were both neat and successful. Choosing the right tone of blue and other matters fall under this, with them being down to taking the time and not rushing into the edits like Iw as before, several times for the Aurgia Logo cutout.
If I was to say to myself how successful the final outcome of the project went, I felt more than 90% went according to plan. The shots I wanted to produce fitted nicely with what was shown in my pre production materials and I felt I achieved with my client and I wanted with the only unsuccessful elements being perhaps the introduction and the ending. Whilst I do enjoy the introduction, it would have been nice if I had a higher resolution image for the logo but if viewed in a smaller view, the introduction doesn't have this issue but the issue with the ending still mantains. White and blue where two colours/tones in particular I wanted to stand out but sadly, on the day of filming the Auriga Logo at the top of the shop, it was a little late of the day and wasn't as white as I originally thought of planned but overal, I felt I produced a very professional looking, sounding advertisement.
After producing my artefact, I felt I didn't learn many technical skills, with the only technical skills I felt I developed during this project was the way I used the camera, a lot of the shots I filmed, I felt I did a lot better job, they were a lot smoother than any other attempts I might have used a camera in my free time and were more accurate to what I wanted to produce. If I was going to undertake a similar project in the future, I would produce an advertisement that isn't based on jewellery but more of on a topic or shop I have more of an interest in such as a video game store or film studio. I would also make the advertisement be not so "basic" and have it use a lot more special effects such as special lighting and three dimensional text and objects.
Feedback
Responses from my Client:
Ricahrd Hoare, Manager of Auriga Jewellery:
"The advertisement was brilliant! I especially enjoyed the music and the ways in which you filmed my shop, thank you very much, very enjoyable."
"The video was brilliant well done :-)"
Responses from other parties (Peers and Tutors):
Peers -
Ed Hedley - "Whilst watching it, it looked like it could've been seen on a television screen, could've been a real advert I would see on the TV, awesome."
Harry Neal - "Very informative and completed to a professional standard. I trust the client was very pleased with this production."
Tutor -
Sarah Ives Rider - "Very good but I feel it would've been better if you placed the receipt shot at the end of the video and not at the beginning."
Analysis of the strengths and weaknesses identified from the responses of my work:
Strengths:
Met a professional standard, felt like a television advert, information and the music was a very good choice.
Weaknesses:
Some shot arrangement could've taken place.
Via Text Message on my Mobile Phone
No comments:
Post a Comment